I wrote this while dreaming about this pizza
Almost is so full of possibilities and well, so full of out-of-reach reality. Almost single, almost graduate, almost drunk…
I take pride in being “Almost Healthy” I have never been an out and out health-freak – impossible given my love for carbs, cheese and chocolates. But over the few years, I implemented lifestyle tweaks to not completely compromise my health. And it has paid off! My hemoglobin levels I tell you 🙂
Sometime back I reached out and read a book on a close relative’s recommendation – Don’t lose your mind, Lose your weight by Rujuta Divekar – my first nutrition based read. To the Indians – she was force behind Kareena Kapoor’s size zero national rage.
And now I feel like sharing a few different/lost tips which she has so logically spoken about – nothing on losing weight, only about being fit! Do check it out. Just ignore the frequent name dropping and the overdose of Mumbaiya Hinglish (Hindi + English)!
1. Eat EVERYTHING! Yes. You heard it. Don’t go for those high protein/zero carbs crappy diets. Have proteins, vitamins, carbs, calcium, fats and whatever else is out there. Especially good fats! Balanced moderation and your body will thank you. P.S. A slice or wedge of cheese makes a healthy snack 😉
2. Make mornings your new best friend. Hello fellow morning people – time to rejoice 🙂 Your metabolism works the best in the morning! Our body functions super efficiently then so keep fueling it. Eat something immediately after waking up. If you are tempted for buttery chocolate croissants – have it in the morning. Leave the rest of the day for lighter stuff.
3. Think global. Eat local. Now this was brilliant! Perhaps subconsciously we all know it… Your body recognizes and functions the best with the foods that predominantly belong to your childhood and geography. Italians can have pasta all the time because it is influenced by their childhood, lifestyle, culture, cooking style and geography. Pasta needs all THAT to function well and not turn into an unhealthy carb fest!
4. Plenty of small meals instead of few big meals – So hard to follow! The logic is simple – assure your body with regular intake of food so that it doesn’t go into starvation mode and store fats! It will chill with its feet up and a glass of sangria.
5. Prepare your body for the buffet! Confide into your body when holiday/ wedding season comes around. Or about that sumptuous brunch plan. Don’t give false hopes of limiting your helpings. Just be prepared and don’t shock your body with the ten unplanned desserts. And going hungry the whole day to splurge in the evening is wrong too. Eat normally! One day of going overboard is fine!
6. Love your body! Sounds so easy but apparently very difficult. But appreciate the way it puts up with the abuse and shocks while still supporting us.
These are a few steps that can help remove the almost from the “Almost Healthy” 🙂 Linda has us talking about “Almost” over at Stream of Consciousness Saturday. Hop over for some interesting takes!
Do share your own – what are those healthy traits you have incorporated in your lifestyle.